HS District Solo & Ensemble
ENROLL ONLINE (enrollment is now closed for 2018; do not enroll online if you have already signed up with a teacher)
the Remind code for this activity is @UhsSoloEns
OSSAA DISTRICT CONTEST EVENT INFO
Option 1 - Feb 24, 2018 - Tahlequah
Option 2 - March 3, 2018 - Sapulpa
****PLEASE NOTE THAT FRESHMEN MAY NOT ENROLL FOR THIS EVENT****
DATE: Saturday, February 24, 2018
LOCATION: Tahlequah H.S.
TRANSPO: Bus transportation provided
-Call time 10:45am
-Bus Departure 11:00am
-Performance Sched: view / download PDF
-Bus Return: Departing Tahlequah 2:00pm Arriving UHS 3:15pm
Students MUST ride the bus TO the event, but may arrange for alternate transportation FROM the event. A written (emailed) plan must be submitted prior to 12pm on Friday Feb 23.
LUNCH: you should plan eat beforehand or bring your lunch. Limited concessions may be available for purchase at the event site; bring money as desired. We are not currently planning for a meal stop.
DATE: Saturday, March 3, 2018
LOCATION: Sapulpa H.S.
TRANSPO: Bus transportation is not provided
Performance Schedule: view / download PDF
Info/Procedures Packet and Map from Event Host: view / download PDF
Brass 1 Small Band Room
Brass 2 Woodlawn Theatre
Woodwind 1 Room 305
Woodwind 2 Room 306
Woodwind 3 Room 308
Percussion Shaw Auditorium
Dress for performance success (dress nicely: no jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, hats). Guys: shirts tucked in, dark color socks, belt. This is NOT an audition, so the judge WILL see you in person.
ACCOMPANIMENT (for solos)
Be sure to:
- communicate your performance time to your accompanist
- find and meet with your accompanist beforehand if at all possible, though he/she may be very busy moving from room to room performing with other soloists
- PAY your accompanist if you haven't already done so
- If using a pre-recorded accompaniment, be sure to have sufficient playback and amplification devices ready, as these will NOT be provided. If using a phone for playback, be sure it's in airplane mode during the performance, so as not to accept incoming calls, messages, or other notifications.
- Performances must exceed 2:30 not have a duration in excess of 5:00. See a director if you need assistance in making a cut. Soloists should also practice the cuts with the accompanist.
- You MUST have the original print music to give to the judge.
- The print music MUST have the measures numbered legibly.
- Marks other than the measure numbers should be erased; consider making a photocopy of the music you've marked prior to erasing the markings.
- Check in to your performance room early; oftentimes the event runs ahead of schedule.
- For memorized solos, move all music stands out of the front of your performing area for maximum visibility of the judge.
- For non-memorized solos, push your music stand down as far as possible for maximum visibility of the judge.
- Prior to performing, be sure to introduce yourself an the title of the music to the judge. Wear a SMILE for this procedure!
SOLOS: RULES & FEES
- Solos must be MEMORIZED to be eligible for a Superior Rating that advances to State.
- Maximum time: 5 minutes duration. (see more info above)
- Multi-Movement works must be prepared in their entirety; the portions performed are at the discretion of the judge.
- Original music must be used and presented to the contest judge at the contest event.
- An ACCOMPANIST (pianist) is required for all brass & woodwinds solo contest entries. Solo repertoire music selection must include accompaniment. The expense of the accompanist is the responsibility of the soloist.
- Contest entry fee for solos: $10.00, deducted from positive student account balances. For accounts at or below a zero balance, entrant must bring cash or check (payable to UBPC), place in a band accounts deposit envelope, and insert into wall mounted drop-safe in the main band office. Fees are non-refundable for any reason.
ENSEMBLES: RULES & FEES
- Ensembles are NOT required to be memorized.
- Maximum time: 5 minutes duration.
- Duets are not permitted.
- Original music must be used and presented to the contest judge at the contest event. Measures should be numbered in pencil unless already provided as published.
- Contest entry fee for ensembles: $5-10 per member, depending on the size of the ensemble, deducted from positive student account balances. For accounts at or below a zero balance, entrant must bring cash or check (payable to UBPC), place in a band accounts deposit envelope, and insert into wall mounted drop-safe in the main band office. Fees are non-refundable for any reason.
- Warm-up in the desginated areas only. Playing instruments in the hallways in not allowed.
- You may want to bring along: phone/charger, $, snacks, bottled water, homework, a book, etc.
- If you aren't riding this bus back to UHS following the event (for District Option #1 and State), be sure to communicate in advance with a director so that the transportation headcount can be adjusted accordingly.
GOOD LUCK & PLAY WELL!